Tuesday 24 June 2014

MY INDIA : Incredibly superstitious

|| Om Ganeshaye Namah ||

Bonjour friends :)
Hope you all are doing good.

This is my first blog ever , so, just try to keep on reading till either it ends or you :P

 

India and superstitions are too old friends now to be separated (atleast this is what I think).
From my early childhood days I have been listening to the sincere advice of my friends, relatives, parents, teachers and nearly from every other soul around me on how to keep ill omen away.

The Most hilarious of all (with a bit of mathematics ) :

Surprisingly enough ,once my friend told me to look at a SINGLE BLACK BIRD, and after I had done , she declared "Though looking at a single cuckoo is considered to be an ill omen , but since we two have seen it so , no problem as :

negative * negative = positive." 

 

Here I bring you the TOP 3 Famous DESI SUPERSTITIONS :

P.S. : Decipher any logic if you can and do let me know :P

 

1. NAZAR UTAARNA :

The most commonly used phrase ‘nazar utarna’ is a phrase in Hindi which literally translates into ‘getting rid of the effects of the evil eye.' Evil eye is believed to be able to cause damage to the person towards whom it turns. 

An effort to ward off the evil eye is putting a small spot of kajal on the forehead or behind the ear of the person prone to its side effects .

 

The logic :

behind this process of ‘nazar utarna’ is that doing so makes the person in question look ugly, and therefore unattractive to the ‘evil eye.’ 

 

P.S. : I am still wondering how a black dot can make you ugly and if at all then putting the dot behind the ear (out of the sight of evil eye) should be of no use then :P :P

 

2. BLACK CATS :

In INDIA it is believed to be an ill omen if a black cat crosses your path.

Now, a poor animal cannot just go anywhere and moreover how do we feel if the same cat immediately goes running to her home to pray for her well being, as a human(an ill omen) just crosses her path.

 

P.S. : Black is used to ward off evil eye and black cat is considered to be an ill omen , seemingly two extreme definitions of BLACK, why so?


3. JUMPING OVER THE LEGS :

The most Hilarious and the most believed superstition of my childhood days.

If someone jumps over or just skip your legs while you are sitting, spreading them out then you will not be able to grow physically (especially in terms of height) and will remain a dwarf for the rest of your life.

P.S. : Personally the most believed superstition of mine , as a child it is used to drive me crazy when someone just skip over my legs and compelled me to immediately shout to call that person back, to jump again from the opposite side, to nullify the effect ( I can see here as well the same logic of : NEGATIVE *NEGATIVE = POSITIVE)

*sigh* lots of mathematics involved....

 

Superstitions always catches my attention , for they are present around 24x7 (especially when you are living in INDIA) and I always wonder if there is actually any logic behind them or they are just plainly meaningless. 

HELP ME if you have an answer to this.

So, pals that was all as of now and I hope that atleast someone is still reading this and is alive :P

 

-Any Suggestions or Comments are most welcome.

 

THANKS AND HAPPY READING, ADIEU.

ISHIKA GUPTA


 

16 comments:

  1. Interesting topic to start off your blog with. Hope 'Om Ganeshay Namah' will ward off all evil. :P

    Suggestion- Sign Up on Indiblogger.com once you have at least 5 posts. Great site.

    Keep blogging! Check out my blog at : bestvish.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure I will be writing more with improvements and yes it is always good to be with the god.

      Delete
  2. good work ..keep going For tips
    http://www.mybloggerlab.com/
    http://helplogger.blogspot.in/
    Check dese sites

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for the appreciation and tips :)

      Delete
  3. Well chosen topic....nyc work done too...good going...... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bhabhi , will be looking upto you for further motivation

      Delete
  4. Very good Ishika.
    Sort of unexpected from the most superstitious in the family.
    But very well written.
    I'll be visiting often for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks abhinav , I will hope to keep up with ur expectations P.S. : I am not superstitious, just relegious :)

      Delete
  5. Great start! :) Funny these superstitions indeed are but they are here to stay unless we break the habits ;) Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and yes, I agree with you as we are the one who created them in the first place

      Delete
  6. nstead of ill omen i'd like to say 'oh men'.wish in future your writings will be making both ill men and ill omen healthier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks nakul for your wishes accompanied by a lil humourous touch as always :)

      Delete
  7. So proud of you ishika:) Hard to believe it's your first post. Very well written:) Way to go girl:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a big compliment for me :) thanks di :)

      Delete
  8. Theek thaak hai..lekin maja nai aya :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Besides just criticizing, please feel free to suggest some improvements :)

      Delete